Are You Living in the Present?
If you are not living in the present moment, life is passing you by. You are a spectator, a by-stander, if you will, to the greatest gift you’ll ever have: life. If you’re like most people, you just aren’t sure how to be present, let alone cultivate a practice to be aware and conscious. You find yourself worrying about anything, from how to pay the bills, to what to cook for dinner. You may also be recalling the last argument you had with your spouse or friend, or berating yourself for not speaking up. Wherever you may be on your magic carpet ride of life, there are a few simple things you can do right now to get the most out of it.
Here’s 5 things you can do NOW to bring yourself to the present:
- Set your smart phone to go off every 2 or 3 hours and pause for one minute. Just focus on your breath and be aware of your physical body.
- Use your non-dominant hand to eat, write, or shower. You’ll find yourself totally immersed in the present.
- Carry a post-it, index card, or something similar that’s says: “NOW is all there is.”
- Sit quietly for 5 minutes and focus on your breath as your lungs fill and empty.
- When you enter under a doorway, pause and be grateful for one thing in your life.
These are a few simple actions you can implement into your daily life that will help you in all areas of your life. The key word is SIMPLE. Small steps create large results if taken on a consistent basis. The key is not to be overwhelmed. If you find yourself “creating a fantasy that hasn’t happened yet”, just come back to the present. After all, that’s all there is.